Rockies Magic Number

Friday, July 14, 2006

Apologies

To my (any) readers -

Sorry about the lack of posting activity of late. My computer is in the shop for the time being, and any updates I make are from my computer at work.

As soon as my computer returns, I'll back, updating every game.

Until then, I'll throw a few more updates in.

Ray King is still terrible in my mind. Watching the Rockies down 3-4 to the Reds in the 8th last night, Scott Dohmann gave up a solo shot to Griffey, which almost missed, by the way (hit the foul pole), before getting to 2 outs with men on 1st and 2nd. Rather than trusting Dohmann to get himself of of the jam, Hurdle decided to go with Unreliable Lefty, Ray King, to face a right-hander. King gave up a single to the first batter faced to score 1 run, and then a 3-run homer to put the game out of the Rockies reach. He then put 2 more men on base before finally getting a groundout. The Rockies came back 4 runs in the top of the ninth, but too much damage had been done.

As a note, I am fully of the opinion that Hurdle pulls relievers entirely too fast. Someone on the Rockies homepage forums alerted me to this, I'd never really thought about it before.

Example: the earlier paragraph. Whether or not Dohmann could get himself out of the jam he'd put himself in, I don't know. But Hurdle showed zero confidence in Dohmann, and Dohmann had to suffer 2 more earned runs because of King's incompetence on the mound. I really feel that Dohmann could've gotten out of that jam with minimal damage.

Although, if Dohmann had gotten out of the jam, the score would still have been 5-3, and we might've seen Guardado earlier than we expected, and we wouldn't have been able to rough up a Reds' RP for 4 runs.

The point is, Hurdle isn't letting relievers clean up their own messses. With the exception of King. I think Hurdle leaving him in after giving up 4 runs is a way of punishing him.

Bottom line is, we need another lefty who isn't Ray King in our bullpen.

I'll try and update again sometime soon, but no promises.

Tonight, Jason Jennings (6-6, 3.67) will start against Reds' Strikeout Master Aaron Harang (9-6, 3.70). Last time Harang faced the Rox, he managed a career-high 12 strikeouts. He has pitched pretty consistent ball his last 10 starts, seeing his 3.70 ERA waver between 3.40 and 3.92. Jennings, on the other side, has not allowed more than 2ER in his last 5 starts, including 15 innings of shutout ball between Washington and Oakland.

Expect a lot of K's from Harang, and 6-7 innings of solid ball from Jennings. I expect a low-scoring game, that's for sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home